The function of the Centre of Information and Library Services of the University of Economics, Prague (hereinafter the CIKS) is the information security of the study and scientific and research projects at the VŠE.
For the VŠE and professional public the CIKS provides for the information resources to its full extent – from the traditional printed materials (books, magazines, textbooks, theses, foreign university working papers, …) to the electronic information resources with the far-distant access also on the physical carriers.
CIKS manages and operates an extensive complex of reading rooms, libraries and variously specialized library resources. The library network is composed of the following publicly available libraries and reading rooms:
- The VŠE Library Žižkov – it serves a role of the central library of the network and ensures all kinds of provided services. As a depository library it also makes available the resources of OECD, World Bank and European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. There are placed the specialized reading rooms and libraries, eg. Mediatheca – a multimedia reading room in which the literature dealing with funding, banking and accounting, publications of the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and Czech National Bank are placed,
- The study library Jižní Město – provides the librarian and information services in the property of the VŠE in Jižní Město and is aimed in particular at the first-grade students and support of language and computer education,
- The Faculty of Management Library in Jindřichův Hradec – formally, it is a part of the Faculty of Management and provides services in particular to students and professors of this faculty.
Only the University of Economics has access to:
- Study centre Jarov - an organizational part of the IT centre of the VŠE,
- About 50 smaller libraries which are an organizational part of the faculties and other work places of the VŠE.
CIKS provides its users with many library-information services:
- Loan – attendance, to be taken home, interlibrary and international interlibrary loan services.
- Information – consulting service in relation to the databases and information resources, retrieval information processing, reference information and individual help with user’s specific requests.
- Electronic information services procured through the VŠE and CIKS web pages, in particular through
- The union catalogue of the VŠE – on-line ordering and booking of literature, prolongation of the term of loan, check of the loan state, setting a profile for the continuous retrieval information (SDI), searching in the database of abstracted economic periodicals FinLit, work with scanned full texts of first significant Czech economists (the so-called Golden Collection of Czech Economic Thought);
- Virtual economic library Econlib – accessing of the licensed electronic information resources and selected freely available resources from the Internet, electronic document delivery service, electronic communication with users (through e-mail and ICQ) and direct ordering of the library services.
- Reprographical – self-service copying in the reading rooms and public area,
- Promotional and educational – presentations of the electronic information resources, visits to libraries, contributions to diploma seminars and education of new users,
- Central acquisition of information resources of all kinds,
- Central registration and processing of the information resources.
On a national level, the CIKS employees take an active part in the work on project and working groups of the National Library of the Czech Republic, Association of Library and Information Professionals (ALIP) and Association of Libraries of Czech Universities (ALCU). International cooperation takes place in particular within the European Business Schools Librarians´ Group (EBSLG) and International Association of Aleph Users (ICAU).